Education Savings

Have you noticed how quickly the cost of college education is rising? You may not have. Between work, soccer and band practice and everything you have on your plate, you may not have time to worry about it. However, the sooner you address the issue the better.

For starters, take a look at the different ways you can save for your child's education:

529 Plans
529 plans can be used to save and invest on a tax-advantaged basis to fund future higher education expenses of a child or other beneficiary.

Coverdell Education Savings Accounts
Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESAs) can be used by individuals within certain income limits who want to set aside dollars on a tax-advantaged basis for K-12 and postsecondary education expenses.

Custodial Accounts
Custodial accounts can be used by investors wishing to make a gift, in the form of securities or cash, to a minor.

Custodial 529 Accounts
Custodial 529 accounts can be used to make irrevocable gifts of cash to a specific minor for higher education expenses.

Zero Coupon Bonds
Zero coupon treasury bonds can be used for any situation where the goal is to accumulate a specific amount of money by a certain date.

Personal Investments
Personal investments can be used for any purpose, such as college funding.

Over 10,000 offices. Find one near you.
What education savings plan will work best for your family?
  • Home
  • Site Map
  • Feedback
  • Find a Financial Advisor
  • Canada Home
  • Privacy
  • Disclosures
  • AdChoices

Your Opinion Counts


Thank you for visiting! We'd like to invite you to take a 2-minute survey about your website visit today, to help us make the experience better for you in the future. The survey will open in a new tab, so you won't lose your place on the website.