Custodial accounts

If you want to give a minor a gift of investments or cash, opening a custodial account may be just the solution.

If you want to give a minor a gift of investments or cash, opening a custodial account may be one solution. It can be used for college savings, too.

With each custodial account, only one minor can be named as "beneficiary" and only one adult may act as the "custodian." Only the custodian can make investment decisions. The custodian can't be changed unless he or she resigns or becomes incapacitated, or a change is made by an order of the court.

Anyone can contribute, regardless of income, and there are no contribution limits. However, there's an annual federal gift tax exclusion amount of $16,000 per contributor, per beneficiary ($32,000 for a married couple).

Funds are set aside solely for the beneficiary; there are no other limitations on withdrawals.


Some of the earnings may be exempt from federal income taxes; some income may be taxed annually at the beneficiary and/or parent's rate (also known as the "kiddie tax"). Consult a qualified tax professional with specific questions about the tax consequences of custodial accounts.

Financial aid

A custodial account is considered the student's asset, and this type of account generally has a greater impact on financial aid eligibility than other college-savings vehicles.

Financial aid is a complex subject and a financial aid officer should be consulted.

How we can help

For more information about custodial accounts and saving for education, or to open an account, set up a one-on-one meeting with a Edward Jones financial advisor in your community.

Important Information:

This content should not be depended upon for other than broadly informational purposes.

Please consult your tax advisor about your situation. Edward Jones, its financial advisors and employees cannot provide tax or legal advice.